Skip to main content

Is Jesus the Only God?

(Notes taken from Vintage Jesus series, preached by Mark Driscoll)
Who did JESUS say he was?
How did JESUS describe himself?

1. He came down from heaven (John 6:38)
"I have come down from heaven not to do my will, but to do the will of him who sent me"
Christianity is not about us ascending to God through good works; it's about Jesus descending to earth and living a man's life.

2. He's more than just a good man (Mark 10:17-18)
"Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good - except God alone"
If you think He's God, then call him good. Only God is truly good.

3. He's the Son of Man (David 7:13-14)
"In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all peoples, nations and men of every language worshipped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed"

Jesus refers to himself this way more than 80 times. What else would he mean?

4. He performed miracles (John 10:36-39)
"...even though you do not believe me, believe the miracles, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father"

He did things that only God could do: water into wine, feeding the 5,000, raising Lazarus from the dead, etc.

5. He said that he was God (Mark 14:61-62)
Again the high priest asked him, "Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed One?"
"I am," said Jesus. "And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven"

"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was, I am" (John 8:58)

"I and the Father are one" (John 10:30)

6. He confirmed that he was God when asked
The high priest said to him, "...Tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God."
"Yes, it is as you say," Jesus replied (Matthew 26:63-64)

7. He said he was sinless (John 8:46)
"Can any of you prove me guilty of sin?"

8. He said he could forgive sin (Mark 2:5)
When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, "Son, your sins are forgiven"

"...the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins" (Mark 2:10)

All sin is ultimately against Him. (Against you, you only have I sinned - Psalm 51). If this isn't true, Jesus is evil, not good!

9. He said to pray to him as God (John 14:13-14)
"And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it"

"If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given to you" (John 15:7)

If Jesus is not God, this is one of the cruellest, most despicable con-tricks ever pulled. He would have given countless people hope in their prayers being answered...

10. He promised to judge all people as God (John 5:22-24)
"...the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgement to the Son"

11. He said he's the only way to heaven (John 14:6)
"I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
- No a way, a truth... but THE way, THE truth...

"I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die" (John 11:23)

12. He claimed authority / supremacy over all people (Matthew 28:18)
"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me"

Authority over:
- countries & kingdoms
- philosophies & ideologies
- races & ethnicities
- sexuality
- men & women
- adults & children
- angels & demons
- all world religions

Comments

Adam Pastor said…
Greetings Matthew Jackson

Clearly, Jesus identified
his Father as the only GOD
in John 5.44.
Likewise in John 17.3,
Jesus identified his Father
as the only true GOD!

So it is the Father who is the only GOD!
Jesus in contrast,
is the human Son of the only GOD,
[Matt 16.16-17, John 10.36]
the Son of the Father
[2 John 3],
the Son of the living and true GOD
[1 Thess. 1.9-10]


So in light of this:
1) Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights
[Jas. 1.17];
and that includes GOD's Son,
the man Christ Jesus.
[1 Tim. 2.5]
(Compare: John 1.6
even John was a man sent from God)

2) In Mark 10.17-18, Jesus' statement reinforces the fact that there is solely ONE GOD and He alone is [inherently] Good!!
Jesus is differentiating himself from the ONE GOD in this verse.
(See also Matt. 19.17, Luke 18.19)

3) God is not a man, that he should lie;
neither the son of man, that he should repent:
hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?
[Num. 23.19]

Speaks for itself - Jesus is called 'son of man' over 80 times whilst
GOD is not the son of man!
(Compare 1 Sam. 15.29, Job 9.32, Hosea 11.9)

4) Rather, the only GOD worked the miracles through Jesus His Son!
John 14.10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
Acts 2.22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs,
which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:
Acts 10.38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil;
for God was with him.

5) Rather, he said he was the Christ!!
Jesus was clearly asked whether he was
the Christ, the Son of the Blessed One

In this context:
Blessed One = GOD
Mighty One = GOD



So, he was asked whether he was the Christ, the Son of GOD?
Whereby he answered: that he is that Son of man [who will be] sitting at the right hand of GOD;
that is, in fulfillment of Psalm 110.1. For more details including addressing John 8.58, 10.30; please see the video link below.

6) Huh! What Bible are you reading?
He just confirmed that he was the Christ, the Son of God!
And that's exactly, what his audience understood him to mean:
Matt. 26.68 Saying, Prophesy unto us, thou Christ, Who is he that smote thee?
Matt. 27.43 He trusted in God; let him deliver him now, if he will have him:
for he said, I am the Son of God.
Adam Pastor said…
7) So was Adam and Eve when they were created! Did that make them, GOD???

8) See Jesus forgave sins

9) Jesus taught us to pray to the Father! Matt. 6.9ff, Luke 11
Don't stop at John 14/15. Read on ... Jesus expounds more clearly.
He adds:

John 16.23 And in that day ye shall ask me nothing.
Verily, verily, I say unto you,
Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.
24 Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name:
ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.
25 These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs:
but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs,
but I shall shew you plainly of the Father.


So yes, we must ask in Jesus' name. Ask who?
Ask the Father in my name!

And one can clearly see an example of such prayer in Acts 4.24-30
e.g. [NASB] 24 And when they heard this, they lifted their voices to God with one accord and said,
O Lord, it is You who MADE THE HEAVEN AND THE EARTH AND THE SEA, AND ALL THAT IS IN THEM, ...
26 'THE KINGS OF THE EARTH TOOK THEIR STAND, AND THE RULERS WERE GATHERED TOGETHER
AGAINST THE LORD AND AGAINST HIS CHRIST.'
27 For truly in this city there were gathered together against
Your holy servant Jesus, whom You anointed, ...
30 "And now, Lord, take note of their threats, and grant that Your bond-servants may speak Your word with all confidence,
31 while You extend Your hand to heal, and signs and wonders take place
through the name of Your holy servant Jesus."


10) Please read John 5.22ff again right up to 27.

John 5.22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:
27 And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

Jesus in fact will judge mankind because he is the Son of man

Acts 10.40 Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly;
42 And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify
that it is he which was ordained of God
to be the Judge of quick and dead.

Act 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God,
we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at;
but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
31 Because he hath appointed a day,
in the which he will judge the world in righteousness
by that man whom he hath ordained;
whereof he hath given assurance unto all men,
in that he hath raised him from the dead.



11) He is indeed the only way to the ONE GOD, the Father. Amen!
John 14.6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man
cometh unto the Father, but by me

12) Because all such authority had been given him
from the ONE & ONLY GOD.

See also John 5.27
And now compare 1 Cor. 15.27-28
28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him,
then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him,
that God may be all in all.




Therefore Matthew Jackson,
For more info on the wondrous subject of
who Jesus truly is,
I recommend this video:
The Human Jesus

Take a couple of hours to watch it; and prayerfully it will aid you in your quest for truth.

Yours In Messiah
Adam Pastor

Popular posts from this blog

2010: What Kind of Church is the 'Right' Church for Us?

Some Christians are very protective about their church denomination, be that Anglican, Baptist or any other label. The USA has 100 different denominations and one type of cheese; France has one denomination and 100 types of cheese. Church in Taiwan was Baptist-flavoured, but it was the friendships we formed there that kept us going. I loved and respected our first pastor because of his character and example; it didn't matter to me if he was Baptist or anything else. When choosing our first UK church, I hoped for another friendly church but one which was much less predictable in its services. In the main, the preaching and worship at Grace Baptist Church were good; the services just didn't allow for any variety or contributions from the congregation. Having experienced a different style of worship in Newfrontiers churches - great music, but the room for prayer, prophecy, testimony and spontaneous singing - I longed to experience that in my own church. Joelle had visited a cou

August 2003: Enter Joelle!

As I blogged previously, the May retreat was the first time I chatted to Joelle. I knew her by sight, and that she was involved in the church's children's ministry on Sundays, taught kindergarten, and helped with the Powerpoint presentations during our Sunday evening meetings. Following on from the retreat, we had various other opportunities to chat, and also began to talk on MSN Messenger from time to time. I had also provisionally agreed to be a foreign teacher at her kindergarten a few days a week. By the time July came along, I was starting to really like her. Nothing much happened, though - I was terrified of saying anything at that point. I did, however, treat her to a meal on 25th July, her birthday. At the time, I thought I was being subtle; seen from her eyes, it probably looked like a pretty serious statement... She was real fun to be with - bright, optimistic, liked to laugh... and I really enjoyed her company. It was obvious how much she enjoyed working with child