Skip to main content

Paul & Queenie Sharpe





Amongst the first people I met when I started going to GBC. Paul was the 'enforcer' for the after-service meal and turned out to be an excellent chap as well. My biggest memory of Paul is disagreeing with him over politics. We had all been round at (Pastor) Dave Brown's house to celebrate someone's birthday and Paul came out with something that just seemed so narrow-minded. I got wound up and left in a huff. The problem was, I couldn't find my shoes amongst the mass outside the door, so I started walking to the MRT station in my socks. At some point, I realized just how ridiculous this was, so turned around and went back. I sort of apologized to Paul, but I left (much more politely this time!) not too long afterwards.

When I arrived home, I was still upset. I tried praying about it, but struggled to get any sort of breakthrough. The next day, there was an email in my inbox from Paul, which contained a very humble apology. This, for me, spoke volumes about what sort of guy he was: strongly opinionated, yes, but humble and definitely someone who valued friendship. He developed the Christian Monitor.com website to highlight the persecution of Christians around the world, and I contributed to the weekly newsletter for a while.

Paul has one of the most oddball senses of humour that I've ever come across - quite Monty Python-ish - and is a huge amount of fun. I'm an eternal disappointment to him in that I can't engage in much sporting banter with him; he's more likely to know if England has just won the rugby or cricket. Never mind! He's good enough to find other things to chat about, just to humour me... This guy is no clown, just in case you're wondering. He takes the serious things of life very seriously indeed, but is determined to enjoy life at the same time. He's someone you can count upon at all times; you just know that, if he makes a commitment, he'll keep it! A faithful friend, and great fun to boot!

Queenie lives out a very visible life of devotion to God and has been a mainstay of GBC's evening service worship team for a long time. Looking back, what really impressed me about Queenie is how she carried herself during the upheaval at church in 2007. Bob Greene, the interim pastor, had clashed with Kevin, the worship leader, over a relatively minor issue, which led to the entire worship team being disbanded. For a while, the music was led by people that we didn't really know, many of whom were not evening service regulars. Queenie eventually took over and brought much-needed stability back to that part of the church. She did her best not to take sides, either with Kevin and the team or against them, which was an immensely difficult thing to do when feelings were so strong. She must have invested a lot of prayer in it, and showed a lot of courage to step forward when asked.




Comments

Paul said…
Hey, don't write things like I give humble apologies (might be true, can't remember) but certainly detracts from my image. Now the whole world knows. Ah well, what's a man to do!

Popular posts from this blog

August 2003: Enter Joelle!

As I blogged previously, the May retreat was the first time I chatted to Joelle. I knew her by sight, and that she was involved in the church's children's ministry on Sundays, taught kindergarten, and helped with the Powerpoint presentations during our Sunday evening meetings. Following on from the retreat, we had various other opportunities to chat, and also began to talk on MSN Messenger from time to time. I had also provisionally agreed to be a foreign teacher at her kindergarten a few days a week. By the time July came along, I was starting to really like her. Nothing much happened, though - I was terrified of saying anything at that point. I did, however, treat her to a meal on 25th July, her birthday. At the time, I thought I was being subtle; seen from her eyes, it probably looked like a pretty serious statement... She was real fun to be with - bright, optimistic, liked to laugh... and I really enjoyed her company. It was obvious how much she enjoyed working with child

Is Jesus the Only God?

(Notes taken from Vintage Jesus series, preached by Mark Driscoll) Who did JESUS say he was? How did JESUS describe himself? 1. He came down from heaven (John 6:38) "I have come down from heaven not to do my will, but to do the will of him who sent me" Christianity is not about us ascending to God through good works; it's about Jesus descending to earth and living a man's life. 2. He's more than just a good man (Mark 10:17-18) " Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good - except God alone" If you think He's God, then call him good. Only God is truly good. 3. He's the Son of Man (David 7:13-14) "In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all peoples, nations and men of every language worshipped him. His dominion is an

2002~2003: I Didn't See THAT coming!

For most of 2002/3, it was a case of 'more of the same'. I decided to carry on teaching at Shane English School in Lujou for another year. Church life was going well, and I'd got involved with a few things at Evergreen Fellowship... Added to which, I didn't have a clue what to do if I repacked the suitcase and returned to the UK. Thanks to Chinese classes and (mainly) the help of new church friend, my Chinese was steadily improving. I did, however, travel back to the UK for Christmas 2002 - a great opportunity to see the family after a year and a bit away. Alpha? Having done the Alpha Course at university, I'd experienced first-hand how effective it was at explaining Christianity to unbelievers, fringe believers, confused believers or people like me (back in 2000) who couldn't decide which category they fitted into! I explained, rather tentatively, to leaders at church that I was interested in starting a course and they were very supportive. Rather oddly, money