Skip to main content

Faith for Healing

After having my eyes tested the other day, I just longed for totally restored eyesight. My 800 (+200 for an astigmatism) left eye seemed like a good metaphor for the Earth - in gradual decline with no hope of change. Then I thought, ' why not pray for healing? Why not ask God for totally restored eyesight?' What an amazing testimony that would be!!

I found some notes from a Terry Virgo healing talk at CCK Brighton that I listened to a few years back. I think I'll be returning to them quite often in the years to come!

MAIN PRINCIPLE: we must put aside experience (we've never seen that before) and look at what the Word says.

"And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues... They will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well" (Mark 16:17,18)

'Does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law, or because you believe what you have heard?' (Galatians 3:5)

"I am the LORD who heals you." (Exodus 15:26)

'Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits-- who... heals all your diseases." (Psalm 103:3, 4)

Jesus did it! He is the 'exact representation' of God and healed many 'because God was with him'. (Acts 10:38) He is the same yesterday, today and forever; why would he NOT want to heal?

In the Gospels, Jesus is always healing someone, has just healed someone, or is going to heal someone!

1. Jesus healed consistently (Matthew 12:16)
- he healed them all
- he never turned anyone away who wanted healing
- he healed in large groups and one-on-one

2. Jesus healed confrontationally
- he healed those 'under the power of the devil'
- Jesus' life was like a battle
- 'release', 'set free'
- he saw healing in conflict terms

3. Jesus healed compassionately
- often moved with compassion
- reached out in compassion
- 'Jesus wept' for Lazarus

4. Jesus was congratulatory
- he applauded faith ("your faith has made you well")
- he censored unbelief ("Oh woman, where is your faith?")

5. Jesus healed comprehensively
- wants more than just physical pain to go (what sin is there?)
- is after complete healing
- wants those prayed for to experience the love of God
- WHOLENESS: God is often looking for much more than we're looking for!

6. Jesus' healing was confirmatory
- Healing was also a demonstration of who Jesus was and what he said
- 'God testified to (salvation) by signs, wonders and various miracles, and gifts of
the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will' (Hebrews 2:4)
- Not just through Jesus, but also those who followed him:
'My message and preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a
demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on
God's power' (1 Corinthians 2:4-5)

7. Jesus heals continuously
- EXPECT him to heal!

If Jesus is alive, he comes when we call! It doesn't just happen in the Third World; Jesus is the same EVERYWHERE! If demons obey the name of Jesus in one place, they will in another!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August 2003: Enter Joelle!

As I blogged previously, the May retreat was the first time I chatted to Joelle. I knew her by sight, and that she was involved in the church's children's ministry on Sundays, taught kindergarten, and helped with the Powerpoint presentations during our Sunday evening meetings. Following on from the retreat, we had various other opportunities to chat, and also began to talk on MSN Messenger from time to time. I had also provisionally agreed to be a foreign teacher at her kindergarten a few days a week. By the time July came along, I was starting to really like her. Nothing much happened, though - I was terrified of saying anything at that point. I did, however, treat her to a meal on 25th July, her birthday. At the time, I thought I was being subtle; seen from her eyes, it probably looked like a pretty serious statement... She was real fun to be with - bright, optimistic, liked to laugh... and I really enjoyed her company. It was obvious how much she enjoyed working with child

Is Jesus the Only God?

(Notes taken from Vintage Jesus series, preached by Mark Driscoll) Who did JESUS say he was? How did JESUS describe himself? 1. He came down from heaven (John 6:38) "I have come down from heaven not to do my will, but to do the will of him who sent me" Christianity is not about us ascending to God through good works; it's about Jesus descending to earth and living a man's life. 2. He's more than just a good man (Mark 10:17-18) " Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good - except God alone" If you think He's God, then call him good. Only God is truly good. 3. He's the Son of Man (David 7:13-14) "In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all peoples, nations and men of every language worshipped him. His dominion is an

2002~2003: I Didn't See THAT coming!

For most of 2002/3, it was a case of 'more of the same'. I decided to carry on teaching at Shane English School in Lujou for another year. Church life was going well, and I'd got involved with a few things at Evergreen Fellowship... Added to which, I didn't have a clue what to do if I repacked the suitcase and returned to the UK. Thanks to Chinese classes and (mainly) the help of new church friend, my Chinese was steadily improving. I did, however, travel back to the UK for Christmas 2002 - a great opportunity to see the family after a year and a bit away. Alpha? Having done the Alpha Course at university, I'd experienced first-hand how effective it was at explaining Christianity to unbelievers, fringe believers, confused believers or people like me (back in 2000) who couldn't decide which category they fitted into! I explained, rather tentatively, to leaders at church that I was interested in starting a course and they were very supportive. Rather oddly, money